Middle School Curriculum
The Middle Years are a critical period of education that bridges the gap between Junior and Senior School. Therefore a Middle School curriculum must cater to the unique needs and developmental stages of early adolescents. The CBC Middle School curriculum not only focuses on academic excellence but also emphasises the importance of pastoral care and a ‘Rite of Passage’ to foster holistic growth, preparing students for the challenges ahead.
The academic aspect of the Middle School curriculum builds upon the foundational knowledge acquired in earlier years while introducing more specialised subjects. Core subjects include Mathematics, Science, the Arts, Physical Education, Humanities, and Languages. These subjects lay the groundwork for a well-rounded education and help students develop essential skills like critical thinking, problem-solving, and effective communication.
In addition to these core subjects, the Middle School curriculum incorporates elective subjects, such as Design Technology, Music, Visual Arts and Drama, and a special ‘Enrichment Program’ for advanced learners, allowing students to explore their interests and talents. This exposure to diverse subjects helps our boys discover their passions and fosters a sense of autonomy and independence in their learning journey.
The objectives of the Middle School curriculum are:
- To provide a strong academic foundation with a focus on critical thinking.
- To foster the holistic development of students, encompassing intellectual, social, emotional, and physical growth.
- Encourage students to explore their interests through a variety of elective courses and co-curricular activities.
- To develop practical life skills such as communication, problem-solving, and digital literacy.
- To promote inclusivity, diversity, empathy, and respect in the learning environment.
- To emphasise character development, instilling positive values and ethics in students.
- To prepare students for the challenges of high school academically and socially.
- To support our students’ emotional and mental well-being, addressing student stress and building resilience.
- To make education relevant and meaningful by integrating real-world applications into the curriculum.
- To nurture a love for lifelong learning, encouraging curiosity, creativity, and a growth mindset.
Pastoral care is an important component of the Middle School curriculum, focusing on the emotional, social, and personal development of students. Specialist presenters from Elevate Education, Life Education and the Carly Ryan Foundation work with counsellors to actively support and educate students through the challenges that arise during adolescence. This creates a nurturing and inclusive environment where students feel safe, respected, and valued. Pastoral care initiatives include one-on-one counselling sessions, group discussions, workshops on mental health and well-being, and character development programs.
The Rite Journey
The Rite Journey program holds a vital role in our Middle School curriculum, guiding students through their journey from childhood to adulthood with an emphasis on the significance of rites of passage. Through workshops, outdoor experiences, and mentorship, it fosters self-discovery, self-confidence, and the cultivation of positive values and ethics, preparing students for the challenges of adolescence and beyond. This transformative program equips our young learners with essential life skills, nurturing their personal growth and development as they transition into responsible and compassionate individuals.
A Holistic Approach
The Middle School curriculum’s combination of academic rigour, pastoral care, and the Rite Journey program aims to create a balanced and supportive learning environment. It nurtures students’ intellectual, social, emotional, and moral development, preparing them to face the challenges of Senior School and beyond with resilience and a strong sense of self. By cultivating a well-rounded and compassionate generation of young individuals, the Middle School sets the foundation for future success and personal fulfilment.
Years 7-9 Curriculum Guide
Discover more about our Middle School curriculum and explore the available subjects through our Middle School Curriculum Guide. This resource offers detailed information on our curriculum offerings, providing specific insights into the diverse range of subjects offered at this educational stage. Additionally, it presents information about the SACE and subject pathways that pave the way for a seamless transition into the Senior Years.
Find out more about our subject offerings in Years 10 to 12 in our Senior Curriculum.