It was Brother Mullen who gave the College its present coat-of-arms. The original Signum Fidei design can be seen in stone above the south entrance to the 1897 wing, and in the door leading from the house to the school yard.
In 1921 the Order of Christian Brothers adopted another design, which was widely used by the brothers’ schools throughout Australia with many local variations, some of which were quite contrary to the rules of heraldry. Brother Mullen thought that the College should have a coat-of-arms that was characteristic and heraldically sound. He went into the question carefully and in 1950 produced the present design.
The motto Ante faciem Domini, ‘Before the Face of the Lord’, is taken from Luke 1:9, the Canticle of Zachary. It reminds students of their duty to live as becomes Christians.
The Dolphin is an early Christian symbol for Christ; it also stood for the ardent desire of Christians to seek Christ and his knowledge. It can also represent the Brother aspiring after true wisdom which is found to be in Christ. The Crowns come from the coat-of-arms of Archbishop Reynolds, the founder of the College.
Those not familiar with the strange creatures used in coats-of-arms were inclined to make ribald remarks about our three tadpoles, but ignorance can usually be dispelled by instruction. Now all connected with the college should be able to appreciate the significance and appropriateness of the coat-of-arms, Brother Mullen’s gift to the College.
Ante faciem Domini – Before the Face of the Lord
Return to College History