A Proud History
The Foundation Stone was laid by Bishop (later Archbishop) C A Reynolds, fourth bishop of Adelaide, on 15 August 1878. Classes began on 20 January 1879. The main building, facing Wakefield Street, is still standing, but the classroom block built along Ackland (now Frome) Street was demolished in 1961 to allow for the widening of the street. In 1897 the Gymnasium Wing, now called the E P Hurley Wing, was built to make better provision for the boarders. There were boarders at the College from 1881 till 1923, when they were transferred to the newly founded Rostrevor College. The science building, now called the E G Smith Wing, was opened in 1956, and the administration block (J V Bourke Building) in 1962. The Junior Campus on the corner of Wakefield Street and East Terrace was built in 1963. Another major development was the extensive F T O’Brien Building, 1972, which contains classrooms, science laboratories, the F C Walsh lecture theatre, the Paul McGuire library and the canteen. During the 80s, the Edmund Rice Art/Craft Centre, along the eastern boundary of the property, the multi-purpose Centenary gymnasium, and a staffroom, were built.
After a fire in 1983, the gymnasium building was rebuilt, with three storeys instead of two. Today it houses the Old Gym Theatre, a sports store, several classrooms, a computer room, and a school chapel. Additions were made to the Junior School in 1987. These provided an entrance from Wakefield Street to the administration area and library. Upstairs are rooms for science, art and computing. In 1991 external stairs and walkways were added in several places in the senior school to facilitate movement around the buildings. The re-modelling of the eastern courtyard was completed in 1996. In 1998, the CBC Sports Centre and Educational Facilities were opened. This included a new artificial surface sportsfield (the size of eight basketball courts) above the new car park, along with a new observatory, Performing Arts Centre, and swimming pool. Extensive renovations were carried out to the existing school library as well as a significant upgrade of classroom facilities. All students have access to these and must observe the rules of use.
In December 1989 the Provincial of the Holy Spirit Province of the Christian Brothers formally inaugurated the College Board. Board members are appointed by the Provincial ‘on the basis of their commitment to College aims and ideals, and their ability to contribute to its welfare’. Membership includes the Principal of the College, another Christian Brother, and up to eight others, at least three of whom are current parents of boys at the College. Much of the Board’s responsibility is in the area of overseeing the financial management of the College. The Parents and Friends Association is also an important association in the College. All parents are members of this Association and are expected to attend the Annual General Meeting, at which a Committee is elected. The role of the Association is to promote community spirit, and parents are urged to support functions organised by the Committee. The Founder of the Christian Brothers, the Blessed Edmund Rice, put before his followers the ideal of being a gentleman, a saint and a scholar. Christian Brothers College provides a program that has education in the Catholic faith as a major and vital part of the total curriculum. The curriculum attempts to appreciate different cultures and strives to cater for students with a wide range of abilities, interests and backgrounds. The Pastoral Care program aims to strengthen and monitor the personal growth of individuals. Building personal relationships, and a sense of belonging, are important as we attempt to make all members of our community feel at home. This ethos is further strengthened by the contribution of our Special Education and ESL staff. The Religious Education Programme seeks to develop faith in an environment where important issues in the students’ lives can be addressed and presented in a Christian context, and in tune with what is happening in the home and the parish. Liturgical celebrations feature prominently at CBC. After leaving the College, students are encouraged to retain contact through the Old Collegians Association, which sponsors sporting clubs as well as social functions. Each year the Old Collegians offer a scholarship to a student who would not otherwise be able to attend CBC.